Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Fun Run


Well, the big race was today.  I had a dream that I came in 25th place.  Not sure what place I came in overall, but in the women's division I came in 3rd.


I was doing pretty good and got passed up by a girl after minute 10 and I gave up and walked a little to catch my breath, then jogged to see if there was a 2nd wind somewhere inside of me, but it didn't come, so I walked again, then waited for Joseph and he and I finished it together, he got 13:47, I got 13:48.  The girl that won got 12:48 (she's in the red shirt behind Ethan's head in the first pic above).  That is better than my best time of 13:11, so reason #1 why I lost is: she was faster than me, a worthy opponent.  Not ashamed to lose to her.  I don't know her name, I think it was a daughter in law of someone in the neighborhood, a young wipper snapper.  That's reason #2 why I lost.  I saw her and thought "Oh, blast!  These college young'uns!" So, I didn't get to teach the kids my preferred lesson of setting a goal, working for it, and achieving it.  Instead the lesson is how to be a gracious loser and not have our hearts set on things that of the world that at times are out of our control.  (7:35 - oh that elusive Golden Ticket!!!)

After I finished I ran back to see where my children were, saw Ethan doing great, he was running with his friend Brox and they got 16:43, great job Eth!

I ran further and found Hyrum pushing along, he ran the whole time.  He did great, he told me he got "17:something".

After finding Hyrum, I kept going back to find our little family caboose Wesley.  Wesley woke me up at 3:00 in the morning telling me that his legs were hurting him and it kept waking him up.  We went downstairs and I had him lay on the couch while I rubbed his legs.  He said it felt better when I rubbed them, then he said his arms hurt too, so I'd rub them.  I basically massaged him with my eyes closed and with my body half asleep the rest of the morning - reason #3 why I lost.  But it's a good reason and a good sacrifice to make (see 5:45-6:05)  Around 6:00 a.m. we ate a little bit of food and googled his Asthma medicine to see if it was a side effect from that, but it wasn't.  After a bit more googling I think we found the diagnosis: growing pains!  None of my other kids have had this, so this is new to me, I didn't know that was an actual disease, I thought "growing pains" was a little saying for the emotional pain caused by growing up and by change.  Anyway, after suffering through the night we got up and after breakfast he was feeling better and wanted to go on the run, so we gave him Corey's bib and we were off for the race!


You can tell from the mountains in the distance in the picture above, that the air quality wasn't the best... there was a big fire in Alpine yesterday, I was having a really hard time keeping my breath during the race.  My throat is still really hurting and I've been coughing, maybe I've got asthma too.  So I'll add that as reason #4 why I didn't win.  I know, excuses excuses.

Anyway, Wes did great.  He was so proud of himself, cause at the end of the race he got some pressure put on him when Julia (who was walking) passed him up, and you could tell by his body language that he was like "Oh no you don't!" and then he pushed it, baby!  And the rest of the morning he was bragging how he beat a 6th grader!

 

It was cute.  Little Wes is taking a nap now, I think I'll go do the same...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...